Saturday, February 10, 2007

On Language Learning

So, this trimester I'm signed up for the 300-level Old English course. Since I haven't taken the 200-level Old English course that is its prerequisite I have the next two weeks (plus this past week) to pick up enough vocabulary and grammar to not totally drown in the class. (1) It's mostly going OK, but I'm noticing a certain trend in the example sentences. See, whoever wrote the 200 study guide really wasn't interested in whether Horatia snatched the food off the table and ate it greedily, or even where the pen of my aunt is. Let's see some examples:

- Hi woldon stelan Pa mathmas. (2) -> They wished to steal the treasures. (3)
- Pa weras ferdon hergiende and sleande. -> The men went devastating and slaying.
- God aelmihtig is ealra hlaforda hlaford. -> God almighty is lord of lords.
- Hinguar Pa leode of-slog, weras and wif and Pa unwittigan cild. -> Hinguar killed the people, men and women and the innocent children.
- ...and hine swungon langlice mid swipum. -> ...and flogged him with whips for a long time.

There's also the continuing saga about Where the Head Is. Somehow I think that when I get to translating actual texts there's going to be a certain preoccupation in the subject matter.

(1) I meant to start earlier, but was rather distracted by writing my site essay and that whole earning a living thing.
(2) P is being used for 'thorn', th for 'eth.'
(3) Anyone wishing to correct my translations is entirely welcome. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heya Steph. While you might have a point about the lack of breadth of Old English, isn't the things that you mentioned (pillaging, plundering and praying) about the sum total of peoples lives around that point? If I want something you have, I will neatly remove your head, and give thanks to God for the gift I have received, dammit! Or maybe I'm a little too bloody-minded..........

Joseph Karl.

Stephanie said...

Heya Joseph, how are you?

I think you might be reading too much into what I said. Basically the OE examples are a lot more blood thirsty and exciting than standard high school text book fare. And the mystery of the head is ongoing. I can't wait to find the bit in the texts-to-translate that that's drawn from.

Anonymous said...

What can I say? Maybe being a male and all influences what I think, but bloodthirstiness and pillaging sounds far more enticing a study than where I put my pen down or whether Aunt Marys feather eiderdown is dirty. Or, maybe it's just me. Anyhow, enjoy your study, and I hope you recover back to normality (whatever that is) as soon as possible.