Thursday, February 15, 2007

I've been tagged by a Commonplace Book meme...

As per Mark's instructions, , quoting from the book that's nearest to hand right now, p123, sentences 5, 6 and 7.
She looked then to Ukiah, curled in the rental car's backseat. "How do you feel?"
"I'm fine, Sam. I just want to go to sleep."


which isn't very interesting. Personally, I liked this bit better:

Sam picked up her coffee. "What I would love is a picture of Ukiah's father, so I know all the players."
   Max looked at Ukiah, puzzled.
   "Rennie," Ukiah said. "Indigo says he flew into Portland yesterday."
   "Oh, shit! That's the last thing we needed!" Max pulled out his PDA and played with it for a few moments. "Here. This is him."
   Sam viewed the picture a moment, sipping her coffee, and then suddenly spit it all back out. "This is the FBI Most Wanted list!"
   "Yes, it is." Max reached for his PDA. "I don't have any other picture of Shaw."
   Sam leaned out of reach, scrolling down through the entry. "Wanted for arson, assault with a deadly weapon, auto theft, burglary ...kidnapping...manslaughter...murder - oh my god, you weren't kidding! He is a homicidal lunatic! And he's coming here?"
   "See, I'm not the only one he has that effect on," Max said to Ukiah.
   "He's not that bad," Ukiah said meekly. "Once you get to know him"

pp142-3.

Wen Spencer, Tainted Trail, New York: New American Library, 2002.

And I tag Starfire and Repton Infinity, because I think there'll be some interesting stuff coming out of their libraries.

That's a quote from your physically nearest book, p123, sentences 4, 5 and 6, and because that isn't necessarily the most interesting bit, I'm adding "plus the extract of your choice" to the list. :-)

5 comments:

Repton said...

The last time I did this meme, the nearest book to me was O'Reilly's _Pocket Guide to SQL_.

This time, It's probably Mackay's _Information Theory, Inference, and Learning Algorithms_, though I've been using _A Guide to LaTeX_ more often in the last few days..

Mark said...

I like your addition of adding an interesting bit. That's good. Though I heaped a tad bit of scorn on mine, I actually liked it...which I suppose is to be expected.

Anonymous said...

Grin - I knew the moment I read yours which book (OK, which series) it came from. Ukiah's not exactly a common name in fiction...

I'm going to wait till I get home, because right now, the closest book to hand is Chambers Super-Mini Dictionary, and while the vocabulary may be fine, the sentences are a little hard to distinguish...

Repton said...

...although if I reach for a book that I bought at lunchtime today, the response is quite interesting:

"But Sir Francis Bacon was not the first to notice the effect. Aristotle's account in /Meteorology/ below implies a similar explanation: ``Many people, when they want to cool water quickly begin by putting it in the sun. So the inhabitants when they encamp on the ice to fish (they cut a hole in the ice and then fish) pour warm water round their rods so that it may freeze the quicker; for they use ice like lead to fix the rods.''"

The book is _Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze? And 114 other questions_ (colected from New Scientist). Can you guess what the question was? :-)

[of course, there were about five different authoratative-sounding answers given in the book..]

Anonymous said...

OK, home now. And this is a *much* better one than the dictionary...

"Mangles souls," said Darinby laconically.

"But how?"

"How do you think?"

from Cat's book, Chronicles of the Kencyrath, by P C Hodgell