Thursday, May 18, 2006

More poetry

Yet Another Boring Poem About A Bird
So, there was I,
a stranger in the Auckland Zoo,
facing down an angry tui
who staunchly perched beneath
a green netted sky.

It's an over used cliche I know,
as hackneyed as a kowhai tree
blooming in its first flush of gold
or the soft purpled grey cat's down
of a magnolia bud, just sneaking out
for a quick smoke in the chilly
end of winter -
just casually saying Hi, as one does,
it's not that we knew each other that well,
but yet I merited a quick Gidday.

But back to that cliched tui
its white bib and flounce of black,
shone through with bluey purple
(purple again!) and back to me,
in the green and damp smell,
talking to the tui, and
that bird, on that day,
swearing.

--Stephanie Pegg, May 2006

(All this seems to be a natural outcome of reading a lot of poetry in class right now. If there's anyone out there who doesn't like reading poetry, well, I guess you can just stop reading my posts. ;->)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I like reading it!

I saw a Tui on my way home from work yesterday. I'd forgotten how musical they can be when they want to.

Hugs

T