Friday, March 31, 2006

The Apostle

This afternoon when I ought to have been studying, I watched a Robert Duvall movie called The Apostle, which is about an evangelical preacher in the American Deep South. It's a very good movie, but the thing I found most fascinating was the language.
They had a whole bunch of Holiness Temple preachers in full bore (real ones, that is), and it sounded like a tidal wave, they had all these lovely long dipthongised vowels, and were emphasising stressed words a lot, and used extra unstressed words to manipulate where the key words would be to get the best verbal emphasis. There were also a lot of terminal -e sounds being tacked on to words, as if they needed an extra syllable to get their mouths around the next cascade of words: self-e, don-e, Jesus-uh. The whole thing made me wonder if the preachers were anything like an Old English bard in full flight. Absolutely fascinating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven!
After watching that movie my friend and I used the line "I sent him on the road to Glory" all the time as a euphemism for kiling people in roleplaying.
My friend was kinda weird though, he watched that movie something like 10 times in a single day.

opvcy - a psychological condition that causes sufferers to quote obsessively from movies and/or tv shows to the point where they will also correct others who fail to get a quote exactly word perfect.