Thursday, February 09, 2006

Incongruous Sight For The Day...

So, this morning I went in to the University to pick up some of the texts I'll need for next semester. As I walk out of Student Notes I'm greeted with one of the more unexpected poster ads - not for a book shop, or Student Job Search, or anything study related, no, it's actually a very large picture of an expired condom that's advertising emergency contraception. Now, I suppose as a public health message, fair enough, yet I can't help wondering if whoever sells advertising for the University thinks that students are generally promiscuous, or too ignorant to know what a morning-after pill is, or too stupid to work out how to get one. And hey, it's really important to ask for the right brand, doncherknow.

(By the way, Alasdair, both the bookshop and Student Notes have got a lot of their new stock in, and there isn't a queue in sight.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a gander in the Men's Room some time..

Stephanie said...

I'd rather not. They tend to be rather smelly.

Anonymous said...

Sorry — I meant the Men's Room (Men's Space?) that they established as a balance to the Women's Room. It's in the union building, 2nd floor I think, near meeting room 3.

No plumbing in sight :-)
(but plenty of posters telling you it's OK to be gay, provided you use a condom)

Stephanie said...

Oh, right. I hadn't realised there was one. Come to think of it, I haven't been to the Women's Space at Vic either.

Edward Sargisson said...

Out of curiousity - I have actually been in the women's space at Auckland.
I was like - 10 - at the time.

Had a weird door you had to duck to get under.

Anonymous said...

Cheers. I'm finishing work at the end of next week to give me a week to hunt properly through the second hand bookstores (etc) before schlepping up to the Uni. I've found a number of the books that promised to be obscure and expensive, so yay!

Stephanie said...

If you should happen to see a copy of the Chambers Murray Latin English Dictionary for less than $65, would you get it for me and I'll pay you back?

This is actually an improvement from the previous recommended dictionary which was Lewis & Short, retailing new at about $300.