Sunday, February 27, 2005

I must be moved in, we have had a house warming party...

(Disclaimer: some of this was previously written in a letter to a friend. Hi Donald!)

So after a week of University I feel a need to take stock. I'm liking getting to mooch around in my pyjamas in the morning and very carefully selected tutorial slots to be no earlier than 11am. (Joy.) My cat has finally arrived (see below), the weather has been gorgeous although is today overcast and windy. For the weather I'm blaming Alan who is visiting for the weekend - he must have brought it down with him. Also, we now have a broadband internet connection so I don't have to trek all the way into town to get access to email. (Double joy.)

Last night we had a house warming party so I guess that officially we're moved in. ;-)
Babe finally made the last two hour car journey to Wellington yesterday. She's coping pretty well, although a bit grumpy about not being allowed outside. We went out for a sniff this morning and I accidentally let her get out of sight for a couple of minutes and then found that I couldn't find her - she'd dissapeared into the undergrowth somewhere. After about 5 minutes she turned up again, so I delayed having a heart attack for the moment.

University has been good. I get to read the Chronicles of Narnia as homework (my Gran didn't believe me when I told her), manicly trying to memorise Latin vocabulary, and reading Middle English to Elizabethan love poetry, some of which is extremely smutty. The first couple of art classes were a bit dull, but hopefully they'll liven up a bit. I've also found that there's an SF group and a Gaming group on campus, so I think I shall be wandering up to their events and seeing what they're like.

I'm learning to navigate like a Wellingtonian. That means working out the easiest ways to gain altitude (like crossing the street, going into a building, taking a lift up 2 floors then crossing the street again via an overbridge) and maintaining altitude once you've got it. Unfortunately, the maps don't contain topographical information, so you pretty much have to 'know' the streets in question. However trust me on this one - you do not want to go down into a valley unless you absolutely have to.

Love to all,

Stephanie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph!

I re-read the Narnia books last month - I'd forgotten just how damn good they are. What class are you reading them for? And is studying them going to take all the joy out of it for you?

xx Deb

Stephanie said...

"ENGL249 Special Topic: Children's Fantasy - Creating and Destroying Worlds" to give it it's full name. It hasn't ruined them so far, although we're not yet into heavy textual analysis on specific authors, right now it's lectures on children's fantasy in general. I don't think it will, though, I like dissecting books looking for subtexts.

Stephanie said...

And the first tutorial was fun. We all had to give our names and why we'd decided to take the course. A lot of the others said that they really liked Phillip Pullman. I got up and myself unpopular by saying that I thought Pullman was fooling himself, and why. Like I said, lots of fun. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Me? bring the weather down with me? I guess I did by delayed post.

*warm fuzzies*

ALan

Anonymous said...

Did you know that a google search on your name takes you straight to the MORDAVIA website? Still wouldn't of believed it was you if it weren't for your sister Catherines name as well. Tis a short trip from there to here.

In any case I thought I'd say thank you for your patience at High School with that whole Rock n Roll thing, and I'll now see if I can find an email address on this site of yours so that I can catch up.