Thursday, March 10, 2005

Some People Are Weird...

So I'm sitting in my Children's Fantasy class before the lecture eavesdropping on the conversation behind me (as you do) and these two guys are talking about the fact that they haven't read the set text (Narnia). Ever. One of them thinks he might once sort of have seen a BBC serial of it. This is after two and a half weeks of lectures and tutorials on C. S. Lewis' life, times, and in considerable detail the Chronicles of Narnia and the big question in my mind is: "What the fuck are you two doing in here?"

If you don't care enough about the subject enough to read the books, why are you sitting a course on it in the first place? How do you expect to understand the lectures if you don't know what they're talking about. Even if you're solely motivated by the mark you get at the end of the course how do you expect to pass if you don't read the material? Understand me, this is not a course for teenagers fresh out of high school. To be in it, you need to have passed two 100 level English papers or talked the Dean into giving you an exemption, so these two people must have done some studying in the past. But I just don't get it - you only get one chance at the lectures and then they're gone forever. You only get so much time to cram all that knowledge into your brain. To me sitting around wasting it is ... approaching blasphemy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok - So I'm replying a touch later than I usually do...

but those two seem like they really do need to pull finger and start reading.

Fruitbat