Thursday, February 10, 2005

Watch out, Wellington

So I finally made it here.

Taking the train down from Palmerston North I remembered again how beautiful the hills are. I somehow always forget when I'm away from them.

I'm living in Kingston. Even native Wellingtonions don't seem to know where that is - a bit south of Vogeltown and a bit north of Happy Valley. Norman (me landlord) is a nice guy, but I get the impression that he will be out a lot in the near future - I think he's busy at work and that.

This is my first full day and I've been doing important things like:
1. Finding out about bus and train timetables. I went to the train station counter and asked for bus timetables. The nice chap pointed me in the right direction. Then I asked about train timetables. To Waikanae. He slumped in defeat so I hastily changed it to Paraparaumu which he could help me with. Apparently the commuter trains all stop in Parapaumu which is only about 5km south of Waikane. Go figure. (Waikanae is where my gran lives.)
2. Getting a map (which promptly lost itself, which is a bad start. However, it turned outself in, so I'm letting it off with a warning.)
3. Getting a library card. The library is where I am now, actually, they have internet access and everything.
4. Inviting myself to my brother's house for dinner. It's good to let him know who's boss, early. Then he invited me to the Botanical Gardens to watch an open air viewing of Amelie. Maybe he's trying to show that he's boss. Hmm. I must think on this. ...

More later.

Steph

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that things have gone smoothly (mostly). you have to watch out for the maps as well - they can be quite nasty when they feel neglected :)

Hope that the weather is calm for a while there!

Take care and I'll see you in a couple of weeks (then again at the con a few weeks after that - yes, you talked me into it)

*warm fuzzies*

Alan

Edward Sargisson said...

It's quite simple, really, I'm the brother and I'm the boss.

Oh wait, ouch, who's that hitting me! Ow, go away!

:-)

(tongue firmly in cheek)