Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Still Alive...

Today we went to Epidauros (or Epidavros if you speak Modern vs Ancient Greek). This should be on everyone's must-see lists for Greece. The Theatre has the best acoustics I've ever heard in my life. One of the girls on this trip, Alissa, has a very beautiful singing voice, and was bullied into singing for us as we headed out into the far reaches of the audience seating. No change in volume, and just lovely sound quality. Also the two people presenting the site performed a short extract from the Aristophanes play Wealth, with cross dressing, a fake and very long penis, and lots of jokes about members of the audience. The other main site there is the Sanctuary to Aesclepius, which has a very different feel. Walking in, surrounded by pine trees, in a slightly damp morning, we could almost have been in NZ, although the sheep over the fence had long ears and tails, and there were bells on the minder dogs. I walked around in there by myself after we'd been let loose to wander about, and it's a very calming, tranquil place. There's a guy called Henry Miller who talked about hearing the heart of the world beating, in the great calm and stillness. I so totally get what he meant.

Take care all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*lower lip wobbles* It sounds like you are having a marvellous time. And I am incredibly envious - Greece is and has always been top of my list of countries I want to visit...

Anonymous said...

*Smile* - I remember Epidavros,and yep, the acoustics were just incredible. I remember Sheridan and I taking turns standinging at the bottom, and saying something, and being at the top and hearing it - it was just amazing.

Oh, and ignore the comment I left to your comment in my journal - I hadn't read this at the time.

It's awesome to hear all about your travels :-)

Hugs

T