Wednesday, December 27, 2006

On Travel...

First off, I was not in this: 7 in Head On Collision despite being in that region of highway at the operative time. ReptonInfinity and I got to the queue of stalled cars, watched three police cars, two fire engines and a pair of ambulances go by and decided to take the alternate route, which was to go back to Waikanae and head off into the wilds of New Zealand mountains on the Akatarawa Rd. This is extremely narrow and twisty and long, and on the course of the drive Repton came to tell me the story of his one time in detention as a worked example of why taking the route that is longer may be more time consuming but also more interesting. From the timestamp on this article, however, (only quarter of an hour before we got home) in which they still hadn't cleared a lane for traffic, I think we made the right choice. Actually, it wasn't too bad a drive, we were early adopters of the alternate route so proceeded as Mother Ducks to a very long queue of cars.

My best wishes to the people in the car crash and their families. As flippant as my above post is, I know that this is a very difficult time for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually quite like the trip through the Wairarapa. Once you're over the Rimutakas it's very flat, lots of straight roads and lovely views of the mountains on either side.

The trick to holiday traffic is to leave very early. I left Welly at about 7am on Saturday and had a fairly straight run through. I heard that at about midday that day the Welly-Otaki leg, which normally takes 1 hours, was taking 3 or 4.

Stephanie said...

We didn't have many problems at all, actually, just that one last bit. But then we did the run to Hawkes Bay on Sunday, when everyone who was going to go already had, and there wasn't a lot of traffic yesterday until we got to SH1.