Sunday, April 09, 2006

I Ache Therefore I Am...

I'm currently holed up in Auckland saying Ow being fed tea by the lovely Tanja and cuddly Donald and am shortly about to curl up and sleep like a log.

I spent the weekend at an Ultimate Frisbee tournament, my first (hey, I guess that means I'm no longer a frisbee virgin). It was extremely full on and much fun. Saturday was bloody hard work - four games back to back and all but one of them went to the full 100 minutes allowed. We had one half hour break after the third game, basically because the Christchurch team we were playing against made their point total of 13 relatively early which gave us time to stagger off the field and have lunch before our last game. The last game was the one that we won (against Palmerston North), but I and I think several of the other players very much hit the wall part way through and started subbing off after very short times on the field.

Today we only played one game, again against Christchurch. For that game, the score on paper looks extremely unappealing, 13-1, but I'm actually not dissapointed because I think that our team was playing very well throughout and Christchurch were a very tough team to play against. Also, as Tanja put it this evening, it's a lot more fun to lose to an excellent team than to win against a mediocre team, and this morning's game was the former. We defaulted for the rest of our scheduled games because the rain was persisting down, with some hail for extra spice, and we thought that we'd be noble and allow the other women's teams to skip one of the scheduled slots and be done a couple of hours ealier. At least that's the party line. ;-)

This afternoon I spa pooled and swam and was the cheering section for the men's and women's finals. For the women's side, Christchurch won against the Wellington serious team (see, I said that they were good) and for the men's side, the Wellington team (for whom repton_infinity plays) won in an extremely close and exciting match. I found it very interesting watching the difference between the way that men and women play: the guys are extremely athletic and fast, but that comes with an aggressiveness that means lots of foul calls and the occasional injury timeout which means that the game is very stoppy-starty. The women's games seemed a lot more continuous and dynamic and flowing to me.

Tucked in to my weekend was also hanging out with Cat and Michael. We went to see Kinky Boots on Saturday evening ("In what hell could I have inspired something burgundy") and Cat came to watch the games for a bit and mess with my team mates heads ("Steph, are you OK? Why aren't you warming up with everyone else?" "Oh, I'm fine, I'll catch you up.") They were very admiring of Catherine's Jedi cloak, by the way.

Anyway, what with one thing and another, I'm feeling very staunch, but would very much like to go to sleep now. Take care all.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yes, I'm playing at the Uni games. Crazy, but true. You?

As a morning after update, I'm still feeling a bit sore but no longer want to hobble instead of walk. :-) (Ah, liniment, how I love thee, let me count the ways.)

Anonymous said...

"Steph, are you OK? Why aren't you warming up with everyone else?" "Oh, I'm fine, I'll catch you up."


That's just cool... and a lttle evil :D

We held our own against the chch team in chch, but I think the team suffered this time without Adele and Kris... The chch team is very good, and were in very good form on Sunday.

theamazingcatherine said...

She was creepy. Hanging out with athletic types, for Two Whole Days; running around on a rainy field, for Two Whole Days... what have you done to my sister, Hyacinth?

Give her baaaaack!!!

Anonymous said...

I just googled for "what have you done to my sister". Reading through the summaries is fascinating :-)

"She came flying towards the Kitchen-Door, with a brass Ladle in her Hand, and said, D - n you for a Bitch, I don't know you, and I do not desire to know you; with that she fell upon me, flung me upon the Ground, tore my Cloaths, struck me, and beat me in a violent Manner with the Ladle, and, I believe, kicked me, but I cannot say positively, being in a Fright, whether she did or no; Lord have Mercy upon me; said I, my Sister ( Ann Grignion ) hearing my Voice, and that I cried out; she called to this young Lady (Mrs Kendall) and when they came, there was I lying upon the Ground, my Heels in the Kitchen, my Head in the Passage; said my Sister to the Maid, What have you done to my Sister? She then flew upon her, and fastened her Hands in her Hair - I was bruised so, that I have not been well a Day since."