Monday, September 26, 2005

Poems R Us

Inspired, in a weird kind of way, by writing a satire with the theme of 'everything that I hate about Auckland'. I guess dissatisfaction with the world around me knows no boundaries. ;-)
(LJ people: the formatting will look a heck of a lot better on the blogspot site, not the RSS feed you're seeing on your Friend's page.)

What I Hate About Modern Poetry
(or, How to Antagonise Modern Poets)

It stutter starts
then stalls. A cynic’s
playground, it must
    be difficult
to be art.

dissonance is the key,
weird lacunae like awkward
                                        gaps
in conversation
and really, really
work those line-
breaks.

by all means,
throw up your verbal graffiti,
fracture words,
show the world broken in pieces
around you.
(although it still seems to struggle on, regardless)

Time was, poets loved their language.
They wove words into symphonies and quiet nocturnes.
Behind the spaces of their thoughts lay the great silence,
and the beating of mighty wings.
Entropy will win, in the end,
does it need a headstart?

I’ll not think less of you
for writing beauty.
Go on.
I dares ya.
-- Stephanie Pegg, September 2005.

(I'm afraid to polish it more for fear that I'll break it.)

3 comments:

theamazingcatherine said...

Ah, but you should post up the satire. It's very cool. And funny.

Stephanie said...

I'll post it when it's finished. I'll add that Mashugenah took the time to make well thought out comments _even though_ he's been flat out working on an essay and what have, my precious sister, said about it? Damn little.

Anonymous said...

Very very very nice.

To your gift of words
Tapp'd to meter'd Tambre
That flows in supine elegance,
There is no answer I can
Give.

Alan