Friday, August 19, 2005

I Seek A Book...

... which I read and really liked as a child.

It was set in Britain near the White Horse of Uffington, there was a blind girl and lots of pagan references to things like mistletoe and the correct way to orient horseshoes so that the luck doesn't run out. I think there may have been a frog that was left to dry out in the sun because someone wanted to use the bones for something and I'm pretty sure the climax of the story involved the blind girl being left in the eye of the White Horse in the middle of the night. My sister thinks that it may have been called "The Moon Horse" but the name doesn't really ring a bell. Does anyone know for sure what the title was? The author would be a great help as well.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

And with a bit of inspired searching, I found it myself! Hooray! It's actually called "The Moon Stallion" and this webpage even shows the cover that I remembered: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.seymour1/ukbookguide/Series/MoonStallion.html
It's also a BBC serial. This is definitely going on to my Christmas wishlist.

Steph

theamazingcatherine said...

You read it as a child. The odds are quite good that you won't like it at all, now.

Just so you're prepared for this eventuality ...

There was a guy telling the future by throwing coins in a circle, too.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finding it!

May it live up to childhood memories!

*warm fuzzies*

Alan

theamazingcatherine said...

Thinking about my earlier comment, I looked up some reviews of the TV version:

"I was half expecting it to be quite awful considering it is now 26 years old, but I was more than pleasantly surprised."

[paraphrase] Long, boring, and bad acting.

Most of them went with the first opinion, though. It averaged at 4/5 stars.