Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cooking

Tonight's new recipe was Vegan Nut Rissoles, via a recipe in the paper. This meant an expedition to get tofu, which really doesn't taste of anything at all. Took quite a while to make - prime offenders are the precooked brown rice (which takes bloody ages to do its thing), and the imminent demise due to non-nonstickiness of our large frypan. And there were lots of rissoles. If we make it again, I'll probably halve the mixture. (And throw veganness to the winds and mix some cubes of cheese in, so there's something solid to chew on.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If I'm cooking non-white rice I soak it before boiling - this reduces cooking time to 10-20 minutes from the usual eons.

But why vegan anything?

Stephanie said...

"If I'm cooking non-white rice I soak it before boiling"
Thanks. How long do you need to soak it for?

"But why vegan anything?"
In this case, because that's what the recipe said and it looked interesting. In a general case, because I'm trying to build up my repertoire of vegetarian recipes that aren't all about milk and eggs.

Unknown said...

Soaking - about an hour (more is better). I start soaking the rice then set about preparing the rest of the meal, or put it in the pot of water when I leave for work. At the other extreme one minute couscous is really, really quick and easy.

I can understand the increased repetoire thingy - I'm just against veganism as a dietary philosophy.