Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Yet More Adventures in Cookery

This time round we tried an onion tart. The recipe book rhapsodized about how nice and sweet white onions are compared to the normal kind. I'm not sure I've ever seen them as a distinct foodstuff in NZ supermarkets, and Wikipedia wasn't very informative, so we used shallots instead. 700 grams of them. (Took a while to peel and chop.)

The result was very oniony, but OK with cheese on top. Overall feeling is that it was OK, but I'm not going to rush to make it again.

I am very pleased with the performance of my kitchen knives after getting them professionally sharpened. Nice Sharpener Guy does dressmaking shears as well. Yay!

2 comments:

Edward Sargisson said...

I had to look white onions up. I think I've seen them in supermarkets around here but have never tried them.

You know the trick with cooking onions for flavour right? Very slow and long. Onions have some very long sugars in them so long slow cooking breaks them down nicely makes them very sweet and flavourful. Whenever I'm cooking onions for flavour (stews, etc) I cook 'em slow.

Alison Holst trick.

Unknown said...

White onions are a seasonal thing. I've seen them in the green grocery much less often than red/purple onions. The outer layer is satin white and not brown.