Saturday, April 26, 2008

Time Capsule

I've been sorting through old University notes, those dating from the period 1995-1998. I've never been able to bear throwing the physical reminder of all that work away, so they were packed into boxes and have been following me around for the last ten years. I still can't bear to throw them away, but I'd like to squeeze them down to one box so I've been flicking through the files pulling out ephemera - exam papers, assignments, scratch notes, that sort of thing and putting them aside to be recycled. In the process I'm not only glancing at old material and remembering (or not) studying it, but finding old pieces of music, stories I've written, stories other people have written (1), letters, cards and all the bits and pieces you collect.

It's interesting looking back at the person I was then. While there've been some big events between then and now, I think that most of the changes in me as a person were so gradual I didn't really notice them at the time, and I need to look back over a large space of time to see growing up in perspective.

(1) Cat, if by any chance you're missing the originals of your Etherfee Omn stories I have photocopies that you sent me an age ago.

4 comments:

Mashugenah said...

I've been going through doing much the same on an ongoing basis. Interestingly, I usually chuck the actual hard information (notes etc) and hang onto the exam papers and assignments. Typically I keep the stuff that's my own work, and not things I was simply told or given as a handout.

Stephanie said...

I've kept the big things that I've done, like my final year project report, on which rereading makes me wince a bit because the language is clumsy in places and I didn't proofread out all the typos.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph. I liked those stories. I still rember the quote "An elephant would be sorry ..."

John in Manila

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph, just thought you'd be glad to know some people you know from 1995-1998 are still checking your blog occasionally :)