Thursday, January 18, 2007

On Burglar Alarms...

The burglar alarm from the house two doors down went off earlier this afternoon, and did not turn off immediately thereafter in the classic "Oh poot, I forgot to punch in the code" fashion I'm more used to. I found out later that a couple of neighbours also heard it and independently went to check things out, but I was very unheroic and called the police instead. They were prompt, friendly and efficient, a credit to the New Zealand Police Force.

(What happened is that the lady who lives there had hired a minion-for-the-day from Student Job Search, left the garage open so that the minion could access tools, and forgotten to give him the alarm code, so it was actually an entirely innocuous alarm. The policeman I talked to said that it's always best to call in these situations, though, just in case.)

2 comments:

three monkeys said...

When my alarm went off last night the neighbours barely noticed. With a view to apologising, I asked the closest of them if she had heard it. She said they thought it was the beeping of a reversing truck. Hence I needed a new outdoor siren.

Mark said...

Isn't it about time for you to inflict some poetry on us? Wow us your readers with your ability to bring forth the significant. (So says the master of late of giddy superficiality and so consider the source!)