Monday, December 26, 2005

Commonplace Book...

I just read a poem that Dorothy Sayers wrote about being thankful which I rather liked. (This was written early on in WWII when a lot of material goods were becoming scarce.)

I need not shiver in silk stockings; -
I had a hunch about wool before it was rationed;
Now I have knitted myself woollen stockings
That come a long way up.
They are warm and admirable,
They do not ladder or go into holes suddenly.
I can boast quietly about them
And smirk while others admire my industry;
As it happens, I like knitting
And nothing gratifies one more
Than to be admired for doing what one likes.
-- Dorothy L. Sayers

(Hannay, Margaret P. (ed.), As Her Whimsey Took Her: Critical Essays on the Work of Dorothy L. Sayers, Kent: The Kent State University Press, pp211-2)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smile... yeah, I like this one too.

Thankfulness and gratitude are biggies in my mind at the moment. It's kind of cool seeing it coming up on other people's blogs too

Hugs and happy holiday thoughts

T

Daniel S. Duvall said...

Dear Stephanie Pegg:

Are there any books by poet Dorothy Sayers that you recommend? I'm fond of an Ohio poet named Frank Paino. I have one book of his (written when Frank was Frankie) around here somewhere, but I have not much space to sort and organize assorted books and such as I see fit.

Be well, Stephanie! You and I have never met, but I love you!

Daniel S. Duvall