Thursday, March 31, 2011

Adventures in Fairyland

My long term roleplaying group has been playing a campaign that was billed as "brightly coloured fantasy reminiscent of Narnia and Castle Waiting". We started off as a bunch of refugees sent to deepest darkest Devon going through a portal to a fantasy world called Carinthia, had a bunch of adventures, skipped forward in time 25 years to have a look at What Happened After, and have now picked up a set of alternate characters who were slaves in a factory on the fairies' side of the river (Bessie the Changeling, Aster the Cat, Bludo the Troll, and Greengage the Griffin (Greengage was named after his father's favourite kind of jam. He has five siblings, and they're all named after their father's favourite kind of jam.))

Last week, we were a gang of desperadoes staging a jailbreak, creating vast amounts of mayhem, and discovering that Bludo has an oral fixation (quite good for intimidating hobgoblins, we found. Particularly when he spits them out.) This week, we ended up deep in enemy territory with the goal of assassinating the enemy queen. First steps: go to school, and set Bludo up with a date.

2 comments:

Ivan said...

I've noticed that my games have taken a noticeably stranger turn ever since somebody blew up my alien spaceship using several kilograms of hand-cured bacon.

That said, solving problems by setting the troll up with a date is *totally* in the spirit of "Castle Waiting."

Stephanie said...

"I've noticed that my games have taken a noticeably stranger turn ever since somebody blew up my alien spaceship using several kilograms of hand-cured bacon."
Um, yeah. The first time I met you, we faced down the Demon Duck of Taunton. And it wasn't my fault that we went to Oxford (I think?) instead and it had to come and find us.