Saturday, January 05, 2008

Wandering Up To The Fish and Chip Shop in Pyjamas and Slippers.

I think this is a new low in casual attire.

Sometimes, y'see, you get home and shower and there doesn't seem much point in getting back into real clothes. I went to frisbee practice this morning, then cycled with Repton the long way home, from Northland to Karori and back, then down to the waterfront, around the coastline, and turning inland at Island Bay to stagger back home. My fatigue is punishment, I expect, for not getting enough exercise while travelling. Somewhere in the bike ride, I agreed to signing up to the Round the Bays fun run - people with advice on training programs are welcome to stick in their oar, because running is not something I'm particularly good at.

Sorry, burbling a bit, probably dehydrated, enjoyed the ride a lot.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

*grins* - after the 16km walk yesterday around Wenderholm's perimeter track (repeatedly), I can definitely understand the whole fatigue thing!

Well done though - sounds like an awesome ride.

Good luck for the RtB - I'd love to give some running advice, but I can't, given as how I suck majorly at it. I believe they do have a suggested training on the RtB site though, if you're of a mind to follow it.

Hugs


T

Anonymous said...

I went to the Northland shops in my dressing gown and slippers once, it was awesome.

Edward Sargisson said...

Hmmm... I'll take that as a hint.
You've only got a month but you'll be fairly fit from the cycling and other walking you do.
The concern is to get your muscles, ligaments and tendons used to the running action and impact from that.
The walker/jogger programme on the Round the Bays website looks fine to me. Start it at week 4 or 5 and you should be ok given your previous work.
Make sure you have some comfortable and supportive shoes - that's the most important way to prevent injury.

Walking is a great way to build things up to become ready to run. Don't expect to do RtB terribly fast - it's perfectly okay to walk then jog then walk then jog to get around. To prevent injury, that would be what I'd advise.

Good article from Runners World is here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381--678-1-1X2X4X5X6-6,00.html

Oh, Happy New Year!

Edward Sargisson said...

Pooh, Blogger did strange things for the link. Search the Runners World web site for First Steps by Mark Will-Weber.

Stephanie said...

Thanks. I've been working through the middle "FunRunner" program from the beginning of the schedule, and the main problem is that I'm finding running tedious while I'm doing it, but insufficient exercise to make me feel tired when I get home. I may start skipping weeks in the schedule given that building strength in my legs isn't really an issue, so I probably don't need to do as much walking as they recommend.

Are you back from SA yet?