Saturday, November 17, 2007

I am borrowing a cat.

His name is Sammy and he normally lives with my brother Edward, who is spending the weekend doing masochistic things involving running in the South Island. Sammy's doing pretty well in settling in, actually. He's graduated from lurking under the bed, through hanging out under the bed but letting people visit with him, to exploring the house, and in fact sat in the living room and watched TV with us this evening. He still wants a lot of reassurance, but seems fine.

Life as an unemployed bum is progressing. I'm sending out job applications and getting depressed about it, and so far there are a couple that I'd really like to get, so fingers crossed that I at least make the short list. I'm walking more than I used to, and it's a good time of year to do so, because there are a lot of flowers out right now. I particularly like the purple daisies, because they're everywhere and they're cheerfully refusing to blend in with anything. I'm also noticing birds more than I usually do. Does anyone know what kind of bird it is that looks mostly like a sparrow, but with a body that's a bit redder, and with a yellow head? I don't think I've ever seen one like that before.

Also, I have now watched Mr Smith Goes To Washington, a movie rather similar in plot to Mr Deeds Goes To Town, which uncoincidentally has the same director and leading lady. They both have lots of funny bits, and happy endings.

3 comments:

Adrexia said...

Not the yellow head?

Stephanie said...

I think it could have been. I don't remember the yellow breast, but I think it was turned away from me when I saw it.

Edward Sargisson said...

You'll be pleased to know that Sammy made it safely to Auckland. According to my mother he's sitting happily on her bed watching the world go by (and probably wondering what the hell just happened!)

He was scared enough on the way there to require his cage to be cleaned but fortunately the freight guy was understanding and gave me a safe room to sort him out in.

I'm glad he's safe. Thanks again for your help.